i, p and psf

Swiss army knife for anything related to interlace.

i, p and psf

Postby esr1 » 09 Apr 2012, 10:01

Hi J.

there's interlaced, there's progressive and finally many consumer camcorders, offering 'FullHD/25p/30p' are using PROGRESSIVE SEGMENTED FRAMES/PsF

users of e.g. FCPX notice 'stutter' with such material - obviously, the Quicktime engine has problems to identify this 'mix' correctly. the info in QTplayer tells '25 i' .... which is for sure nonsense ;)

I know, AVCHD v1 allows only 1080/24p - so, PsF seems to be some 'workaround' to make 1080 25p/30p fit into the AVCHD container ......

Is there any flag, atoom, tag, whatever within such files, to force Quicktime to playback such material correctly?

or, in other words:
is it technically automatically possible to differ PsF from i (or p)?

due to growing popularity of such devices, I notice on some boards this is a more and more discussed issues ...

HAPPY EASTER!
esr1
Regular

Re: i, p and psf

Postby jeschot » 09 Apr 2012, 10:02

I know, AVCHD v1 allows only 1080/24p - so, PsF seems to be some 'workaround' to make 1080 25p/30p fit into the AVCHD container ......

I doubt it. It is a way to encode progressive videos as fields. If you would encode a progressive movie with the M-JPEG encoder you would get a similar effect.

Is there any flag, atoom, tag, whatever within such files, to force Quicktime to playback such material correctly?

QuickTime cannot even open AVCHD. You need ClipWrap to convert to h264 first. I don't know if ClipWrap can handle PsF at all.

or, in other words:
is it technically automatically possible to differ PsF from i (or p)?.

Sure, but not within QuickTime, which is what I use.

In Deinterlacer it is probably best to tag the movies as progressive in the input pane.
Unfortunately there is no equivalent of the compressed field handling for MJPEG that QT is capable of. So I cannot do a lossless telecine of 24PsF to 29.97i for example (assuming QT could read and write AVCHD which it can't).
jeschot
Site Admin

Re: i, p and psf

Postby esr1 » 09 Apr 2012, 10:05

sure it can - a) with a free plug-in, b) AVCHD=mts=h.264

means, a PsF in a AVCHD-structure, in a .mts wrapper, is just another h.264 file.

What FCPX does, is just rewrapping the stuff ... (iM automatically converts into AIC, choosing 'optimiize' converts into proRes).

So, it's QT fault, not to handle h.264 correctly.

as yours, fullHD/p is more and more common.
AVCHD v2 is more and more common.

Apple HAS to react, to make all those new shiny devices, like Canon 5 MkIII, JVC PX10, Sony NEX (4k) ... compatible with its editors ...

we'll see!

A HAPPY EASTER!!!!
esr1
Regular

Return to JES Deinterlacer