Frame Interpolation Problem with JES Deinterlacer

Swiss army knife for anything related to interlace.

Frame Interpolation Problem with JES Deinterlacer

Postby esr1 » 04 Jul 2012, 13:49

an,

Thanks for all your hard work.

I tried to access the forum to bring this up but my account old16mm was no longer accepted and I could not find a link to re-register.

Something has happened between version 3.5.4 and 3.8.1 that breaks what I was doing. I have 16 mm movies that have been converted at 29.97 fps using 2 frames of video for each frame of 16 mm. I use JES to de-interlace and throw away every 2nd frame. I use 14.985 FPS. This works fine in JES 3.5.4 and I get 1 frame per frame of the original video playing at the slower rate.

In 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 it no longer works. What happens is that the frames are interpolated together so I get motion blur and double images where none exists in the original. I reverted to 3.5.4 with the same settings and it works fine.

I'm attaching 2 examples, the first is a frame converted with 3.8.2 and the second the same frame converted with 3.5.4. I used the same settings for both.
esr1
Regular

Re: Frame Interpolation Problem with JES Deinterlacer

Postby jeschot » 04 Jul 2012, 13:51

Did you select "telecine"? The implementation of the blend mode has changed a few times.
Over here it works fine with "telecine" as blend mode in v3.8.2.
Are you just changing frame rate or deinterlacing too? I tried both and both work as expected (that is, no blending).

BTW there is also "skip every nth frame" in the input pane. Skipping every other frame should work for you.

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Re: Frame Interpolation Problem with JES Deinterlacer

Postby esr1 » 04 Jul 2012, 13:52

That was it, had blend set instead of telecine. Thank you so much for your help
esr1
Regular

Return to JES Deinterlacer