10-bit Uncompressed in JES Deinterlacer

Swiss army knife for anything related to interlace.

10-bit Uncompressed in JES Deinterlacer

Postby esr1 » 18 Nov 2016, 15:59

Hi Jes,

I am using your excellent software to remove pulldown from some DigiBeta captures with cadence breaks. The ITVC feature is very nice indeed, I was wondering why no 10-bit output so I was reading through posts in your forum and found out the engines is only 8-bit.

Could you please confirm the latest version is still limited to 8-bits per channel? Doing noise reduction on the footage and 10-bit is required. Adding 10-bit would be awesome!!

Thanks and congratulatios on your lovely software!
esr1
Regular

Re: 10-bit Uncompressed in JES Deinterlacer

Postby jeschot » 18 Nov 2016, 16:01

Are you sure you need to recapture?
My app (i.e. QuickTime) may be able to downsample when processing the movie.
I don't know how good the downsampling is though.

I do know that QuickTime conversion of 8-bit RGB to 8-bit YUV is very bad (no dithering). One user pointed that out to me. I have added some dithering for that case but of course it is bad for compressibility.

If you have test movies I can archive them now for later use. I can't say when that will be though.

I definitely want to change to 10bit internal processing (or 32 floating point more likely) for the next version.
Currently I am converting two smaller apps of mine to Cocoa and Swift. After that it's Deinterlacer's turn.

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Postby esr1 » 18 Nov 2016, 16:03

Many thanks for your reply, I am actually going to recapture in 8-bit so I can use your software. That's proof of how much I love your DeInterlacer :)

I will also donate to the cause when the project is complete. Let me know if you need any help beta testing the 10-bit version, we could make some demanding gradients and compositing/graphics to test the performance of the new engine.
esr1
Regular

Postby neirotransformer » 22 Sep 2017, 06:39

So if i have 10 bit ProRes 422 master video and process it with JES Deinterlacer to ProRes 422, it actually downsamples 10 bit to 8 bit and than upsamples to 10 bit on export? Also i noticed that Image sequence export limited to 8 bit. Any news about 10 bit processing update?
neirotransformer
New

Return to JES Deinterlacer