Wondering if I'm doing too much prep for cleaning

Wondering if I'm doing too much prep for cleaning

Postby jayvee56 » 29 Jul 2011, 23:15

I've been using your Video Cleaner to clean out the noise in an old movie before doing any other restore work on it -- however, I thought the work might go better by cutting the movie into individual clips and adjusting the removal according to each clip's severity of noise. Am I making more work for myself than necessary in doing this? I'm using the same settings for most clips with slight variations (usually "0.41-43" for level Y and "0.10-15" for level Cb) unless I run into really distressed-looking images, for which i will set the removal significantly higher to still remove as little detail as possible with the noise. It seems the process goes through approx. 3.33 frames at a time, which makes me think perhaps I'm in "overkill" mode...

Thanks
jayvee56
Been here

Re: Wondering if I'm doing too much prep for cleaning

Postby jeschot » 30 Jul 2011, 14:11

Video Cleaner cannot dynamically adjust the noise level, so what you are doing is indeed necessary if you want to process various parts of the movie with different parameters.

I agree noise reduction is slow, even though it *is* SSE accelerated. After all it is a fairly complex procedure and I am no expert at performance optimization. I just do the obvious things which generally results in a good speedup.

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Re: Wondering if I'm doing too much prep for cleaning

Postby jayvee56 » 03 Aug 2011, 14:45

Belated "Thanks" for your reply -- just needed a little confirmation that I'm not crazy -- possibly a bit too persnickety, but then I'd still be wondering if I need to try what I'm now doing...
jayvee56
Been here

Return to JES Video Cleaner