2 Image descriptions

An application to create, remove or edit image description extensions

2 Image descriptions

Postby speedyrazor » 20 May 2014, 15:25

Hi, we are supplied various Quicktime Prores HQ files and when opened up in JES Extensifier, in the Inspector window it displays '2 Image descriptions' and when opened in Dumpster the 'stsd' - Sample Descriptions - numEntries = 2, which in Dumpster displays 2 unique 'blocks' in Sample Descriptions.
Although I know this is not a JES Extensifier issue, I thought you would be the guy to ask, why are there 2 Image descriptions, where did the 2nd one come from, and most importantly is there a way to get rid of the 2nd one?

Kind regards.
speedyrazor
Been here

Re: 2 Image descriptions

Postby jeschot » 21 May 2014, 09:37

Most likely they are almost identical, but not quite.
Removing image descriptions is hard. You could try setting all IDs in the 'stsc' table to 1 in Dumpster, then do a Save As in QT Player 7 Pro.
If that doesn't work you need to export which will recompress. I don't know how good ProRes is at lossless recompression.

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Postby speedyrazor » 21 May 2014, 10:01

Hi Jan, thanks for your reply, I was hoping that JES would be able to remove any extra Image descriptions, sadly not. but where do they come from, what application creates the extra Image descriptions?

Kind regards.
speedyrazor
Been here

Postby billygee2015 » 20 Nov 2015, 21:14

I've been fighting with this issue for years.
Does anyone have an alt solution to remove multiple descriptions?
billygee2015
New

Postby jeschot » 21 Nov 2015, 10:57

QuickTime does not add redundant image descriptions.
So either somehow they must be different, or the movie was created with custom software.
Is this a showstopper for some reason?

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Postby billygee2015 » 23 Nov 2015, 15:10

Usually it's added by multiple encoders, editors, etc exporting the file.
You're correct, compressor or QT PRO 7 will export a fresh new file without multiple entries.
I run into it on a daily basis so it is somewhat of a show stopper. It means if I'm working on a full series and the client supplied something with multiple entries, I have to re-export every 40min HD episode.
I've resorted to using a hex editor in an attempt to remove the extra entry but haven't had any luck.
Any suggestions on how to remove without having to reprocess the .mov?
billygee2015
New

Postby jeschot » 23 Nov 2015, 20:48

I meant which software refuses to work with files that have tracks with two or more sample descriptions?
Is it iTunes or some quality control tool?

You could try setting the numEntries to 1 and changing all the sample description numbers in the sample to chunk table to 1. That can actually be achieved with Dumpster.
Of course this results in some garbage bytes at the end of the 'stsd' atom but you might get away with that.

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Return to JES Extensifier