Recovering Media

Discuss JES Movie Tools, an application to analyze movies and create derived movies.

Recovering Media

Postby Chasefox23 » 15 Apr 2011, 19:47

Hi, have been using Movie Tools to successfully recover media from quicktime prores files when accidentally saving cuts that have been made. However, lately, a couple issues and bugs have been cropping up when files are saved out as their full, self-contained movies with new parts stitched in. Quicktime saves out the full size file (for example, this specific file is 110.46 GB), but for reasons unknown, this file only plays the first 2 mins 8 seconds of the file. This section includes about 1min 52 sec of the original file plus the entire segment we cut into the middle of it, about a 20 second logo. When trying to recover the media, only these two sections come up as separate video tracks, along with all of the sound tracks for recovery. There must be more info in there as there is 110GB worth of data. Do you think there's any way your software could recover this that I'm unable to make work so far?
Chasefox23
New

Re: Recovering Media

Postby jeschot » 17 Apr 2011, 08:29

If there are multiple video tracks you can select the track by index.
If you do this repeatedly you can recover the medias of the tracks as a set of movies.

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Postby Chasefox23 » 17 Apr 2011, 17:58

Yes, there are two video tracks available in the dropdown box for recovery. When I do recover each of them separately, one happens to be the 20 second logo that was stitched in, the other is the 1min 50sec clip I mentioned. No other video tracks are available from the drop down menu, the "Other Track" from the drop down box is just the timecode track, and there is still 110GB in our movie file, so the information is in there somewhere, unless it's just an Apple glitch and it can't read the proper size.
Chasefox23
New

Postby jeschot » 18 Apr 2011, 08:06

Please mail me a reference movie so that I can have a look at the metadata with Dumpster.
"Save as ..." (a reference movie) in QT Player

Jan E.
jeschot
Site Admin

Return to JES Movie Tools